20.8.11

a letter

Psalm 139
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

 1 You have searched me, LORD,
   and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
   you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
   you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
   you, LORD, know it completely.
5 You hem me in behind and before,
   and you lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
   too lofty for me to attain.

 7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
   Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
   if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
   if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
   your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
   and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
   the night will shine like the day,
   for darkness is as light to you.

I haven't been able to sleep, mostly because of fear and doubt. I am awake again at sunrise, watching the sky change colour. Uncertainty falls over me like a weighted blanket, suffocating and covering me in darkness. But you are everywhere God, even in this time of uncertainty.
Sometimes in my blindness I see you more clearly.

You are here. I know you are. Thank you. Thank you for your wisdom, your promises, your unfailing love. Thank you for your power. Turn my thoughts away from the perceived failures that fester and threaten to overcome my spirit. Open my eyes to your goodness and instruction.

So much I praise you for Father. My family, my home, my health, my sight, my hearing, your love and your mercy. The geese that fly by and the new day that has dawned. For your son Jesus.

Remove the hindering burden of worry, doubt and fear; destroy the hovering negative thoughts that pollute.
I pray.
You made the brilliant stars that light up the dark sky at night and the breathtaking heavens that open and welcome each new day. Thank you for the hours, weeks and calendar days; how you surround us with seasons and predictable change. You made us creatures of routine and structure. 

The sun rises and sets each and every day.

I must remember to meditate on all the wonders of your glory. Thank you for accepting what I can give.
Even though at times it feels so small. Thank you for making me-me.
I love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just tonight I was at the grocery store and bought fresh peaches and thought about how that signals to me that we are well through August. There is an ordering and a predictability in so many things - as simple as fruit.
Thanks for expressing your thoughts of fears and doubts...you are not alone.
Much love,
Jeri-Anne

Leah said...

His mercies are new every morning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...